These are to upside down tea bowls for Potfest. Ron mentioned that Doug says he doesn’t make tea bowls thinking they’re not really an earthenware pot and I agree, I wouldn’t usually make them, this is for a specific reason so that’s why I’ve done them. They do look sort of wrong in my red clay but it’s fun to have a try at something different.
This is one of the square platters that I slabbed the other day, I used a paper pattern to resist the slip and was expecting a really crisp line. I do like this now that it’s been sitting around for a day for me to look at. It wasn’t what I’d expected but again it’s a piece for a specific themed competition at Potfest. I’ve never done any of the resist thing before.
My ideas for the two platters, the second one split when I slipped it but I have tried to jiggle it back together, we’ll see what happens.
Unpacked a glaze kiln today, just one of the puzzle jugs was in there and it’s a rather nice one.
I’m really pleased with the baby’s harvest jug. The only thing I’m a bit disappointed in myself for is that I have nowhere on it mentioned the fact that the baby was 7lb 10oz and that that was the weight the pot was made from which I think is a shame but it’s too late now.
Turquoise stain 1%, 2%, Manganese 1%, %, Cobalt carbonate 1%, 2%, Chrome 1%, 2%.
The first four were blatantly not strong enough at that level. The chrome and the cobalt are interesting, I think the blue is maybe too obvious a choice, I’m not a fan of it but the chrome is interesting, think I’ll mix a small batch of it and see what it’s like on a real pot.
Then I slipped some plates, there were six in all but I seem to only have a couple of pictures. The next one, not sure what happened, I was day dreaming at the time and came too sort of half way through it wondering what on earth was going on. It’s a bit Toft again, heads in trees and all that but it’s kind of crazy.